SS. Peter & Paul History
The beginnings of the parish date back to 1906 when Mr. Theodore Heenan brought the Episcopalian church in North Branch. The
deed was given to Most Reverend John Foley, bishop of Detroit. The church was remodeled, and Father Peter Esper was appointed
pastor in 1913. SS. Peter & Paul officially became a parish with St. Patrick in Clifford as a mission.
With Father Charles Zeeb as pastor, a new church and rectory were built in 1978 to meet the modern needs of the growing parish.
These new buildings were completed in early 1979, and the dedication of the new church building was on March 25, 1979.
In 1981, SS. Peter & Paul parish celebrated its 75th anniversary in the new building. Father
Jude Ellinghausen was pastor from 1986 to 2002. Father Richard Treml, our current pastor, arrived in 2002 to date. SS.
Peter & Paul parish celebrated its centennial in 2006. The three parishes of SS. Peter & Paul, St. Patrick Chapel
in Clifford, and St. Mary in Burnside clustered in 2003 to present.